• Oak City Pets

10 Holidays Treats to Keep Away From Pets

The holidays are a time for friends, family, food, and lots of sharing. While it may seem harmless to sneak your pet a little piece of Grandma's apple pie, sweeteners and other ingredients can make your dog very sick. No matter how much your dog begs or your cat meows for the following holiday treats, don't share your plate!

You may not be familiar with all the holiday hazards contained in this list. Here's what to avoid giving your pets this holiday season!

10. Dairy

Both dogs and cats lack the enzyme that makes it easier to digest dairy products. Although a kitty does look cute lapping up a saucer of milk, keep the dairy away from your pets.

9. Coconut

While coconut is not toxic to cats or dogs eating too much can cause gastrointestinal upset, bloating, and diarrhea.

8. Grapes and Raisins

Although scientists are unable to pinpoint exactly why grapes and raisins are toxic they are known to cause kidney failure and death in both dogs and cats. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, dehydration, tremors, seizures, coma, and death.

7. Avocado

While dogs and cats are not affected by avocados your winged companions are. Be sure to keep dishes containing avocado away from birds. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, lethargy, and; well, death.

6. Yeast

If you're baking bread for the holidays be sure to keep your pets out of munching distance. The dough can expand within their stomach and cause bloat which can then cause the stomach to twist. Symptoms include lethargy, shaking, vomiting, and seizures.

5. Onions and Garlic

Garlic and onions can cause gastrointestinal distress in dogs and cats. Symptoms include lethargy, pale gums, elevated heart rate and collapse.

4. Xylitol

When pets consume baked goods containing xylitol their insulin can skyrocket which causes a drop in glycemic levels, ultimately leading to seizures and possible liver damage. Keep Grandma's apple pie far out of Fido's grasp.

3. Alcohol

Alcohol consumption can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. Please don't let your dog get drunk, it's not funny and can be very dangerous.

2. Coffee and Caffeine

Just like our #1 holiday treat to avoid, products with caffeine contain methylxanthines.

1. Chocolate

It is a myth that a piece or two of chocolate is okay for your pet. Even in small doses chocolate can be fatal to dogs and cats. It's also true that dark and bakers chocolate is even more dangerous because they have higher levels of methylxanthines. Make sure to keep all goodies with chocolate far of out reach. Symptoms include seizures, vomiting, and even death.

#pethealth #dogs #cats #toxic #caninehealth #felinehealth #tips #top10 #holidayhealth


© 2019 by Oak City Pets

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Instagram Icon
  • White Google+ Icon



Durham, Raleigh, North Carolina

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon